Tuesday 15 November 2011

Watch them play

 It's only as I've been lying around feeling very sick and very sorry for myself that I have been doing something I wouldn't normally do.  I've been watching my girls play.  I'm not normally the type to sit and do nothing, if my girls are busy playing I'm usually busy with dinner, laundry and any number of other important tasks.  I'm always doing something and squeeze as much out of each day as I can.  Lately though, because of this early stage of pregnancy which has wiped me off my feet, I just don't have the energy to do anything other than the essentials, like feed my children!  Not much else.  A great bonus of this though is that I have actually sat down long enough to watch them play.  I came in to the living room and found Erin playing with her doll's house, she re-arranged all the furniture, got some pets for the dollies to play with and sang so beautifully and happily while she played that it was just a privilege to observe.  I would have missed it had I been in the kitchen.  I would have missed just sitting and 'being' with my three year old girl.  I would have missed such an opportunity to witness the magic that is the play of a young child when they are totally absorbed in their game.



 Soon, I will be back up to my normal energy levels and will again be squeezing as much as I can out of the day but I'm at a stage in my life, in my spiritual journey, where I'm trying to learn from my experiences.  My experience at the moment is teaching me that it's OK to slow down and just sit sometimes and do nothing.  When I do so I get to witness my girls in their natural state of play and it's generally so beautiful to watch.  If I spend so much of my time trying to complete that long 'to-do' list I will miss some of the most magical gifts in my life.  I will miss hearing her sing while she plays, I don't want to miss hearing her sing while she plays, it's the most beautiful thing I have ever heard.

No comments:

Post a Comment